Three Steps To Take When Your Ex Is Violating Court Orders

When going through a divorce, you may unfortunately be dealing with an ex who is violating the court order of the divorce decree. While this is not something you ever want to have to deal with since it makes a divorce that much more difficult, there are some steps you can take to ensure that the behavior is stopped. Here are the three steps to move forward with:

  1. Write a Motion: To ensure your ex stops violating the court order, you are going to want to file a motion, which means writing out the motion. In this statement, you need to explain how your ex is violating the court order. The behavior your ex is exhibiting could include not dropping the children off on time or not paying the alimony that is supposed to be paid. If you need help explaining the behaviors in a well thought out way, you can hire a divorce attorney to write and file the motion for you. The benefit of this is that legal terms will be used to explain the situation, which ensures that the motion is taken seriously. 
  2. Serve the Papers: Once the motion has been filed, your ex needs to be notified by serving the papers. You can do this yourself or your divorce attorney can do it for you. Whatever the case, this is an important step because if your ex is not notified that you have filed a motion and a court date has been set to go over it, then further legal action cannot be taken since your ex won't show up to the court appointed times.
  3. Go to Court: Lastly, you need to show up to court prepared to prove your reasoning for filing the motion with well documented proof, especially since your ex may try to fight your claims. Your divorce attorney can help you with this step as well since they will know what kind of evidence needs to be shown. This will ensure that the judge sets some kind of sanction to push your ex to comply with the terms. This can include reporting nonpayments to your ex's credit, tax intercepts, and more. 

Visit a site like to learn more about family and divorce law so that you can be prepared if your ex violates any court orders. You want your divorce handled in a fair way for both yourself and any children that may be involved.